Bill of Lading are issued every day, but there are very few people who truly understand its significance.
However, Bill of Lading (BOL or BL) is one of the key documents of freight shipping.
Besides, acting as evidence of a contract between the shipper and the carrier, BOL also serves as a receipt of freight goods and services.
What Is A Bill Of Lading?
Basically, Bill of Lading is a legal form that documents goods being shipped from a shipper to the recipient through a freight carrier.
The document includes the type of goods in the shipment, the number of units, the destination address, and the carrier name. Since this document acts a transport document, it should always be included in a transaction of shipped products.
This is what a bill of lading should look like:
What Are Details Included In A Bill Of Lading?
- Name and address of the shipper and the receiver
- Special reference numbers or purchase order
- A list of items included (how many pieces, boxes or skids)
- A written description of the goods
- The weight of the cargo
- Numbers, marks, and other identifying details
- Shipment details, which includes the time and place of the pickup, the loading or export date, and other information needed to verify the added terms
- Party responsible for Freight Charges
- Department of Transportation hazardous material designation for hazardous goods
What Is The Importance Of Bill Of Lading?
- Evidence of Contract of Carriage
BOL acts a proof of the contract between the “Freight owner or shipper” and the “Carrier” to do the transportation as per the agreement between the buyer and the seller.
- Document of the title
The document of title means the freight can be transferred to the owner of the BL.
- Receipt of goods
The carrier issues the bill of lading to the shipper in trade for the receipt of the freight. The issuance of this bill proves that the carrier has received the products from the shipper in good condition and order, as consigned by the shipper.
Create Automated Bill Of Lading with Easy Logistics Management
As you can see, the BOL is an essential document and needs to be filled out accurately. We, at Easy Logistics Management, are shipping experts and will help you focus on your business while managing the complicated parts of shipping for you.
We will automatically create a bill of lading for you, hence improving the efficiency of your business.
Our easy-to-use and FREE software can make the creation process of BOL easier for you. Easy Logistics Management freight software can:
- Automatically saves the addresses you frequently ship to
- Auto fills your most shipped products from a drop-down menu
- Reminds you to get sufficient insurance for the product you’re shipping
- Calculates density
- Automates the process by making the bill easier to print, email or fax
So, if you are looking for an automated, economical, or reliable freight shipping process, feel free to contact us anytime with the interest form below. Or, give us a call at (866) 854-5341 x3
Want help further economizing, automating, or simply outsourcing your logistical pain points? Connect with us for a quick meeting now!
Here are some additional great resources related to what a BOL Bill of Lading is and what it should ideally be used for we referenced for the article. Enjoy!